Tuesday 20 January 2009

Freedom


I was living in England in 1994 when Nelson Mandela was voted president of South Africa. The thing I most remember about that day were the endless queues of people waiting to vote. Miles of black people given the vote for the first time in their lives. It was a day for freedom and it brought me to tears.


Today is another one of those days. For the first time in the history of the United States a black man will lead the country. I believe more people than ever had showed up to vote in November last year. And today he was sworn in.

I don't know whether he will bring the goods he was talking about in his campaign and in his inauguration speech (that I'm listening to right now). He might be as great as he promises to be, he might fall hard.

But it's a day full of freedom, a day full of promise and I wish him well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!