Tuesday 3 May 2011

Head

I've had headaches in the past. I've told you about them as well! When I drink coffee or tea or eat too much chocolate. When I drink too much alcohol, when I am about to get my period and when I'm out in the sun and the wind. But I don't know what's going on now.

For the past four days I've had a headache. Now, I didn't drink coffee or tea and only had white chocolate which doesn't really do much, since it's mostly sugar. I had a few beers on Friday, but I didn't go over the top and got completely sloshed. I am getting my period and even though the weather has been really good lately, I haven't gone out in the sun that much.

But this headache is different. When I woke up on Saturday morning, my neck and head were all hurting and stiff. I took several aspirins that day and they didn't work. On Sunday the situation hadn't changed, so this time I decided to do battle with aspirins and cold cloths (out of the fridge, so really cold). And even though the cold cloths helped for a bit, as soon as I took them away again, the headache came back. On Monday I decided I wouldn't take any medication. But by now everything was hurting, even my hair! I used the cold cloths a few more times to get some temporary relief and at the end of the day I even took a little pill.

Today I woke up with (you guessed it) a headache. I couldn't even bear having my cats on my bed which is saying something! And this time I even winced when I brushed my own hair as slowly and carefully as I could. Fortunately my appetite hasn't disappeared, although chewy food is out right now. Bite, swallow, gone as we say in the Netherlands.

I do hope it will get better soon, I stay out of the sun as much as I can, I sleep as much as I can (I've got a few days off), I even changed the pillows to some flatter ones as I think that might have been part of the problem.

10 comments:

  1. One more day of this, and I think it will be time to see a friendly Dutch doctor. Try dissolving the aspirins in a bit of warm water first; it sometimes helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO TO THE DOCTOR! And you might want to try resting on a heating pad. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLEASE go to the doctor!
    The same thing just happened to my aunt ans she just got out of the hospital, she had BELLS PALSEY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aspirine doesn't help at least for me, I could swallow ten like sweets. Nurofren is much better. I wonder if it's not the fact that you are thinking too much about Canada ? Sometimes it can also be psychological. If it doesn't get better I would suggest you go and see a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See the doctor to make sure there's nothing sinister going on.
    Hope you feel better soon (AFTER seeing a doctor . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  6. the amount of pain sounds like a migraine- they can be triggered with soft cheeses, cured meats, wine, etc..- or stress- or heat-

    cold showers, compresses, and a quiet room are the only thing that helps me a little bit (and a headache reliever with acetomeniphan, and caffeine)-

    but yes- it's not normal to have these for days and days- if it doesnt recede, go have a checkup. Just to be sure it is not anything medical

    hope you feel better

    ReplyDelete
  7. Headaches are terrible and I really feel for you, Mara. I've found Tiger Balm to be useful and sometimes the sugar/caffeine in coke really helps me. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Lyn x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Mother Kay here. Listen to me. See a doctor. Do not go to work. Ride your bicycle if you must, but it would be best to get a ride. Do not go to work. Make the doctor have you tested for everything. Do not go to work. Do not drive a bus. Ride a bus if you must, but do not drive it. This is an order.
    Luv — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Listen to kay and let me know how you are doing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefully your getting better. I would like to see you get checked out by the doctor. That is too many headaches.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!