Friday 14 December 2012

Not my day

After the joy I felt yesterday on receiving my social security number in the mail, I feel very deflated now. When I went to the police two weeks ago about my driver's note, I wasn't yet as used to Norwegian as I am now and it was pretty hard for me to understand everything. So, when they told me I needed a social security number, I understood. And about the doctor's certificate, I got that too. I knew I had to fill out the application form as well and that was all I understood. 

So, I walked to the police station this morning to hand in my paperwork and was told that something was missing: proof of good behaviour! And the one I had, was two years old and wasn't acceptable, it had to be new! I felt quite down after that. But I felt I could get what they wanted and went on my way to the bank to open a bank account. Where I was told that not only did I need my social security number and some form of ID, I also needed my tax card and that hadn't arrived yet!

I walked back up the hill and got on the phone to the Netherlands. I needed to fill out an application form ànd the police here in Norway needed to fill it out as well! I printed the lot, walked down the hill, got permission to miss work in order to get that driver's note and went to the police again. I explained about the hows and whats and they filled out the form. I walked back up the hill.

I scanned everything in and emailed it to my last place of residence (where I had to apply). I then walked back down the hill to get at least a bit of training in. After going along with a route where everything I thought was wrong (I thought left, he went right; I thought straight ahead, he went left etc etc), I made my way to Amanda (a mall) and finally got me some curtains. I took a bus back home and walked up the hill again. But when I opened my email, there it was: the files I had sent were too big! They have a 10mb limit and my file was 10,2!!

I am at a bit of a loss right now, but I can sort of feel where this is going: I will need to go back to the Netherlands to get my application in! I certainly hope not, because that will cost me money I would rather save. It certainly is extremely annoying and I probably will need some chocolate to get over it!

(By the way: if I do get it sent, it will then be sent on to the Ministry of Funny walks Justice, who will do a check and hopefully send me the Proof of Good Behaviour very soon. I then have to take that and go back to the police station here to apply for my driver's note. Which will take a further two days. I will be lucky if I get to drive before 2013!)

6 comments:

  1. Can you zip the files to make them smaller? Or do you have a nerd that can decrease resolution a bit to make them smaller?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be good if you had a Norwegian nerd already. Especially a handsome one. LOL
    Good luck with this. I know red tape can be a burden sometimes.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see it's everywhere the same, administration, administration ! Poor girl ! My husband has to go to the city hall once a year to thet a proof of being alive ! Otherwise he wouldn't get his pension from Italy and Germany so he needs it twice ! it's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your snow pics, below, but I am sorry for your troubles in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound like a lot of work but it will all come together for you. Sorry your have problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tired just reading this...

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!