Tuesday 5 March 2013

Yes

When I moved to Norway I decided quite soon I would say yes to everything. Well, at least the lawful everythings, since I don't want to end up in a Norwegian (or any other) prison cell. Been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt. Anyway....

When they invited me to the annual union meeting, I went. Didn't understand a thing, but then again, several of my Norwegian colleagues were at a bit of a loss too. When I was asked to do an interview, I went. Got a lovely write-up in the 'Union Gazette'. I went to another annual union meeting. Understood a bit more, was amazed by the bureaucracy of it all. I went to the 'Welfare' meeting. Same thing again. And tonight I went to the team meeting. 

Because there are so many people working for the company here in Haugesund, it's very difficult to have only one person responsible. So, they have created teams and each team has a team leader. Every team is supposed to have two meetings a year apparently, in which they talk about work, social things and how to make the lives of everybody in the team nicer/better etc. 

I have already noticed that Norwegians are very much into their food. Every meeting so far has had good food, either snack wise or proper food wise. Tonight was no different. Lasagne. Without mushrooms. And for dessert: cake! (No wonder it's so hard to find a decent custard here, they prefer cake!)

I digress however. One thing to bring the team together is by organising things for the team. It can be done by the team leader or by any member of the team. And the team leader came up with a brilliant idea. I think. And I signed up for it as well. Even though I am still a bit hazy on what it actually involves. I think I will end up wet, tired and seasick though. If I understand correctly. 

From what I did gather it's some sort of rowing race on open sea on the 17th May (Constitution Day in Norway). Training had better start soon! I will keep you posted...

2 comments:

  1. That's going to be fun. I'm so glad your getting involved. Hope you can do some praticing or check out what exercises will help you for rowing!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!