Tuesday 23 April 2013

Keys

After a bit of confusion today (the landlady thought the hand-over of the keys was at 2pm, I knew it was at 4pm), I finally got hold of the keys. They were waiting for me under the doormat! I let myself in and was again surprised by the spacious hallway. I walked into the living room and it was quite big as well. The kitchen I knew to be small and old-fashioned and the bathroom like-wise. 

The small (read absolutely tiny) 2nd bedroom
I went upstairs and found closet after closet and a lot of spaces under the eaves (not hard with a sloping roof). The bedroom will hold my bed and my chest of drawers, however the large wardrobe I own and that Pepperfly and Mr Pepperfly took apart... ehm... will not fit. Too tall, too big, too much in a large enough but not that large bedroom. I started imagining what would go where and after I had done imagining I went downstairs again. 

This time I went all the way downstairs: to the basement. Which in contrast to the upstairs bit is not empty. There was a brand new wooden fence, ready to be put up. There was a small cupboard with jam jars filled with things only grandfathers have in jam jars. There was a ladder and a door, there were gardening tools. And then there were two things that I took to be a sign, even if I don't believe in signs.

The first was a horse shoe. An actual horse shoe! In my house!! Fortunately no horse came attached to it though. The second was a flag. Well, the flag. Of Norway! They seemed to be saying to me: welcome and good luck in Norway. We are glad to have you here. I couldn't stop smiling and the only thing that could have made it any better would have been sharing it with somebody (like Pepperfly and Peppermaggot in a few days). 

In the living room!
This week the house will be cleaned again. Because even I saw that it wasn't clean. And after that I will be moving in. 

Yeah!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so happy for you, although not happy your big piece of furniture won't fit. Will you tell them not to bother bringing it?
    I love the look of the house, and the horseshoe and flag are great.
    Looking forward to your settling-in and settled-in photos.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like you're just about settled into Norway for the long term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for getting the keys! I'm so excited for you and I love the signs your were given.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!