Monday 9 June 2014

Flight

Amsterdam - Chicago
I was about 16 when I phoned to my parents and said to my Mum (who answered): when I get back home, I may have flown. Well, when I got home, I had flown. In a glider! Despite the weather (not cloudy as such, but a bit murky) it was fantastic. My Dad nearly had a fit when I told about it at the dinner table that night. And when he found out my mother knew, he was ready to explode. 

It was (obviously) not the last time I had flown. My next flight was from Pula (in Yugoslavia, now Croatia) to Amsterdam. The year after was Brussels to London and then London to Catania (Sicily). Catania to Rome and then on to Paris. 

Haugesund - Copenhagen
Since then I have flown to Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Malta, Ibiza, Chicago, Edmonton, Houston, Oslo, Bergen, Stavanger, Copenhagen and Haugesund. In fact I live quite close to the airport here (ten to fifteen minutes by car, I can actually see planes land and take off), I have been taking planes quite regularly to get to places abroad or even in Norway.

People keep telling me there is a direct flight from Stavanger to Amsterdam, but that would mean I have to first get to the busstation, then take a long distance bus to Stavanger, change to the airport shuttle and then get on the plane. The time that takes is about equal to the time it takes me to take a plane from my local airport, fly to Oslo and change planes to Amsterdam! And the cost is quite similar as well. 

When I went to visit my sister, I flew to Oslo and then on to Dublin. On my return I flew to Copenhagen and then to Oslo and then home. And tomorrow will be another flight. Or three. First I will take the plane to Oslo. Where I will have little time to catch my flight to Stockholm (where I have never been). And then from Stockholm I will take a flight to a city in Alba.

So, when you don't hear from me this week, or only sporadically, know that I will probably be enjoying myself a great deal. 

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    hheheheheh - nice one - Alba - keep em guessing.... heheehehehehehe but blimey; I'll need to check the maps apps to figure out if you are actually going in circles for what is really a very short hop!!! Buying a boat might be more effective..... we can discuss that and other options at some point in the future. Hehehehehehehehe
    YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do boats. And yes, it is a bit of a round-trip, but it was the cheapest and most convenient. Besides, I have never been to Stockholm before!

      Delete
    2. ....you DO know there are ferries involved, donchya??? &*>

      Delete
    3. Oh I am so with you about boats, Yam does not understand it!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Have a great trip and I look forward to hearing all about it. Take care and I hope the bed is made!!!!!!!!
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Times have changed ! I took my first flight in 1964 to Sicily ! That was very unusual at that time. My 3 year old grandson has already a long flight list behind him, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your certainly busy....have a wonderful time and safe flights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have wonderfully safe flights and a wonderful time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!