Saturday 27 January 2018

This, that and the other

It's been nearly a week since I last wrote a post here. Don't worry: I am not sick, I have not ended up in a ditch somewhere and I have not been kidnapped by aliens. 

Instead I have been working long hours this week. Between nine and a half and ten hours each day. By the time I could take the bus home, I would be tired and fed up and not really feeling up to turning on my computer. Three days! And I didn't miss it either. Instead I watched television. No, I didn't even pick up the knitting needles, which is a turn up for the books. 

Then, yesterday I was off. A three day weekend, where the Friday would be spent making apple pie and the Saturday (ie today) will be spent with a union meeting. I will make my way to the meeting in about 90 minutes time from now, together with two large apple pies! 

Of course before I could put the first pie in the oven, I had to deal with the smoke alarm that kept blaring. The rack on which the pie had to stand was a bit on the dirty side. In the end though I did manage to get the first pie in. Of course I didn't have enough apple/raisin mix for the second pie, which meant that more apples had to be peeled. About four kilos in total!

I wondered why that was, since before I would have too much mix. Until I looked at the cake tin. I had used the biggest of the lot I have (28 cm ⊘) instead of the usual (24 cm ⊘). Puzzle solved! Now I just need to get the second pie away from its base without ruining the whole cake (I only sort of managed the first one).

So, now you know. No aliens, ditches or illnesses. Just not in the mood!

9 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Fair enough... those pied look scrumoolushus - though I don't eat apple. Am imagining them filled with plums, or apricots, or pears, or rhubarb... goodness, look where my head went. Back in the now - I am certain these will be enjoyed greatly today!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get asked whether I could please make my apple pie again. It is a lot of work, especially the apples, but it is very much worth it. And when it is still a bit warm and with a dollop of cream...

      Delete
    2. ...oh stop it!!! dddrrrrrrrroollllllll

      Delete
  2. I think your cat has the perfect way of dealing with winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pies look very very yummy indeed! We admire you for having the patience to make them. The last time ghostwriter was making an apple pie from scratch was when the four siblings were still little. That day, they were so bad (whining, screaming, arguing, fighting, etc.) that she ruined the pie crust and threw it in the garbage. She never made apple pie from scratch again! (The youngest sibling is now 30 years old.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine making it any other way. We don't have ready made pie crust for apple pie over here in Norway (and I have never seen them in the Netherlands either, although they do have the ready made mix to make the pie crust). So, if I want apple pie: I will have to make everything myself.

      Delete
  4. Pieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees we love pies and mom and I say life is short whatever you do whenever you do it it should be fun!!
    Hugs madi your bfff
    Ms Oswin I do hope you will pawticipate in all the festivities for 2/14/18.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are two yummer looking pies! Glad you are good and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum on the pies. I bet they were delicious. Glad you had 3 days off.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!